Monday, October 26, 2009

War in the Land of Egypt

Okay, first off, let me apologize on not making this blog sooner - honestly I completely didn't realize I never blogged about it!
All I can say about this story is wow! I loved it.
I think that my favorite part was how the novel was written. It was very clever, and actually did a better job engaging me into the story than most of the others have. Having the story told from different perspectives is a huge symbol in itself - It makes me think of the movie "Vantage Point". Because your getting so many sides of the story, it really depends on your own personal beliefs which perspective you like the most, or you found to have the most impact/truth etc... Also, the fact that all the characters perspectives were from different social classes also made the different points of view more unique.
But perhaps the most compelling part of the story was the issue that the speaker in class brought up (well one of them). The fact that the main character, had no perspective. This is a HUGE literary 'technique', if you will. This emphasizes how much of a symbol Masri really is. Masri symbolizes the average Egyptian, and the struggles that the majority of them have felt close to home.
Putting the characters and symbols aside, though, you really get to the meat of the novel. War in the Land of Egypt is about corruption and the awful things said majority has to fight for (and against) everyday of their lives. The title doesn't really mean an actual war that Egypt is fighting, the war is internal. People are fighting against huge enemies in their own country, like the government. Its no easy feat.
All in all, I thought the novel was extremely well-written, a great read. Also, had a lot of good symbolism and techniques I really liked.

1 comment:

  1. i thought the same thing when the two were getting pampered. I can understand why they would want to.. one thing that also hit me with this movie was how the main character talked about life being boring... Life should be exciting, fun and full! so i think that it was sad that he thought his life was boring :( we only live once

    ReplyDelete