Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Mosque

What an amazing experience! I am so happy I got to spend time at the Kalamazoo Islamic Center this past thursday. It was such an eye-opening experience. And I am so gracious that the Imam himself gave us our tour and answered any of our questions.

Taking a tour of the outside of the building was actually pretty cool, getting to see all the new rennovations and additions they are adding to the mosque. The architecture reminded me of the Taj Mahal, with all the pointy spires and dome-like points.

After that we went inside, and saw the main prayer room where the men pray, and also all the little classrooms they have for sunday schools. Also there was like two kitchens and two gathering halls. This place was wayyyy bigger than I thought.

About mid-way through we sat on the floor in what I think was the womens prayer room, and he explained to us how the Koran came to be and what it meant to his religion. You could totally see the passion he had held for his religion and what it meant to him. He broke through common misconceptions and stereotypes that most people have about Islam.

It was such an amazing learning experience and I suggest that everyone, no matter their religion, check out a Mosque.

No comments:

Post a Comment