Monday, September 28, 2009

Who is that talking in the back?

So, this blog just hit me, like that time I ran into a chair. Just BAM! I was watching The movie my group decided to watch, Arranged, which I'm pretty sure I blogged about already...But anyway, I was watching it again, and about twenty minutes in, the main characters are in a classroom together, the Muslim one teaching the students, and the orthodox Jewish asissting a special needs child, when the class is interrupted by talking in the back. The the Muslim teacher asks them what is wrong, the kids just come out and say something to the extent of,

"We were told that you and Ms. Rachel can't be friends because you were from different religions, because you hate each other or something."

Obviously this caught my attention. Continuing, the teacher asks him why he would think that. He says,

"...I heard all the Muslims wanna kill all the Jews. Aren't you Muslim?"

And this perks an ongoing conversation that the Muslims are a massive group of people, and the teacher does not want to kill/hate Ms. Rachel. The thing that interested me the most though about this was that, the kids in this class look to be in about third or fourth grade, which was quite young to me. Even so, I don't think even now I would wonder something like that. It makes me think about what kind of negative press the Middle East is getting, so much so that the kids, perhaps, are picking it up on their evening news, surely they don't get this on their own, or their parents don't talk to them about it, I would guess. This movie is very interesting, not only does it have the influence of the Muslim and the Jewish, but the children too. I'm excited to finish the movie, and I'll try to get the clips up!

2 comments:

  1. I'd love to see a clip. Sounds interesting. Does most of it take place in a school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I've been watching it in parts, so I'm only about a third of the way through it, but most of it does take place within the school so far.

    ReplyDelete