Thursday, September 24, 2009

I know its there somewhere...

While I had no trouble finding books and movies that fill me in on information about how Western culture is influencing the Middle East, and also vice-versa, finding concrete information is proving to be a feat. I am finding small little tid-bits.
I guess the biggest thing that I could blog about is the movie i have started watching. The movie is called 'Arranged', was made in 2007, and tells the story of two women, one an Orthodox Jew, the other a Muslim. I read a little blurb about the movie, and it shows how the two women meet and their experience with arranged marriages.
So far, The two women have not met. I have seen how they are uncomfortable in social interactons dealing with the subject of 'marriage;' in the opening of the film the women are sitting in a lunchroom of sorts, awkwardly listening to three other american looking women talking about being proposed to and their own marriage.
Perhaps the arranged marriage is a bigger difference between cultures than I realized. I definitely have a fuzzy view of arranged marriages, to me they do not seem fair to either party. I hope the movie will change this.

No comments:

Post a Comment