Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Aunt Safiyya Ch. 2

I fell in love with the story after reading chapter 2. I loved how the book did an almost-paradox, it started with the mothers warning of her son going to see Aunt Safiyya (assuming that in the beginning the events of chapter two already happened) then Taher explains why his mother acts the way she does and says the things she does. The 'paradox', is you will, is at the end, when we return to the authors present day, where he visits his Aunt Safiyya.


I was shocked at the amazing dynamics the families of the village, and the village itself, had within the story. Everyone is so loyal and dedicated, both to each other and their religions. I was also shocked again, at the mother. Her choice to keep Safiyya out of school simply because she was beautiful, and also because the mother thought an education would ruin her ability to marry the best, surprised me. I am so used to the world around me where beautiful, hard-working, and educated women are, most often, the ones who are praised highest.


Perhaps the Middle-East is in a place that our own country was, not too long ago either. At one point in our history, women were responsible for the home life, raising children, cooking, keeping husbands happy. Women in our country did not go to school, work the farms, or attend town meetings. This got me thinking to the point that, although the subject of religion differs slightly (as we discussed in class), the Middle East just might not be as historically advanced as my own country. Again though, maybe the Middle East will stay that way. But as for now, my mind is telling me that I have no room to criticize that would be like me being harsh to my younger sibling, for not knowing calculus.

2 comments:

  1. You are right about our country having traditional roles not too long ago. But I wonder, were we still considered to be more modern at that time? Were we already in the transformation of traditional roles? hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course we have heard about the oppression of women in the Middle East and that is something we are going to try to authentically and carefully explore this semester. To try to raise an alternative question, I wonder if there are any aspects of the roles for women in the Middle East that women in this country might like to imitate or might gain from?

    ReplyDelete